Rainer Hilli is Head of the firm’s award-winning Intellectual Property practice, which is one of the largest in the Nordic region. The practice has been recognized as the IP Law firm of the Year for Finland by Managing Intellectual Property Global Awards several times.
Rainer has more than 20 years of experience in intellectual property disputes, including civil and administrative court proceedings as well as arbitration. He has also represented clients in various fields of industry including pharmaceuticals, telecommunications, media, paper & pulp, engineering and brand intensive industries. He is frequently involved in multi-jurisdictional IP litigation. Rainer has experience from working in cross-border litigations both as lead coordinator and as lead of the national team. He has also been advising on product liability and product safety, as well as regulatory compliance. Rainer’s practice also includes IP & technology driven transactions, licensing, franchising and technology transfers.
Rainer is ranked as Star Individual by Chambers Global and Chambers Europe within intellectual property. He is also recognized by major international legal directories (including The Legal 500, Who’s Who Legal, Managing IP (IP Stars) and World Trademark Review) as one of the leading experts in Finland within IP, patents, trademarks, life sciences, as well as TMT.
Rainer is hailed by clients as “an absolute star” (WTR 1000, 2020), “uniquely authoritative litigator” (IAM Patent 1000, 2020), “extremely knowledgeable” (Chambers Europe, 2020) and “an excellent IP adviser and an outstanding litigator” (Chambers Europe, 2018). According to sources, he is a “legend in the field” (WTR 1000, 2019) and “the best available in Finland” (WTR 1000, 2018). Further, he is described as “exceptionally responsive and attentive” and as “the number one choice for disputes” (WTR 1000, 2020). Clients also mention he is “laid back and fun to work with” (Chambers Europe, 2021). One client comments: “Rainer is a highly skilled negotiator and litigator with excellent understanding of business and global dynamics” (Chambers Global, 2022).
In January 2017 Rainer Hilli was awarded IPR Professional of the Year 2016 (Vuoden 2016 IPR-henkilö) by the IPR University Center, a joint institute of six Finnish universities sharing information relating to intellectual property, coordinating research in the field, and arranging IPR-related education.
Rainer Hilli’s experience includes advising:
- Nokia in the project resulting in the settlement with Apple;
- Several innovative pharma companies in patent and trademark litigations before the civil courts in Finland. The matters have involved questions on infringement through equivalence, burden of proof, infringing acts, preliminary injunctions and calculation of damages;
- Langh Ship in a landmark patent litigation before the District Court of Helsinki against two Dutch shipping companies. The case included specific issues related to the liability for patent infringement in sea transportation and involved significant compensation for patent infringement as well preliminary injunction proceedings that were finally resolved by the Supreme Court;
- Gillette in trademark litigation against a Finnish company concerning the use of Gillette’s trademark when selling handles for shaving machines that were marked to fit with Gillette’s branded products. The case related to the right to use another’s trademark in marketing and was finally resolved by the Supreme Court after having been referred to the European Court of Justice for preliminary ruling;
- Anheuser-Busch in the landmark trademark battle concerning the BUDWEISER trademark. The case which dealt with the conflict between a trademark and a tradename, involving interpretation of both EU and Finnish trademark legislation, was finally resolved by the Supreme Court after having been referred to the European Court of Justice for preliminary ruling;
- Several innovative pharma companies in litigation against parallel importers before the Finnish courts, including the Supreme Court.
Roschier (1986-), Partner (1996-); Managing Partner (2011-2016); Chair of the Board (2016 -2019)
Ashurst Morris Crisp /London, Visiting Lawyer (1993)
Finnpap, Corporate Development (1989-1990)
Member of the Finnish Bar Association
Member of the International Bar Association
Member of AIPPI
Member of International Trademark Association (INTA)
Member of the European Patent Lawyers Association
Member of LES Scandinavia
Member of the Helsinki Bar Association
Member of the Finnish Association for Industrial Property Rights (STY)
Member of the Finnish Copyright Association
European Patent Lawyers Association (EPLAW), Advisory Board member (2020-)
European Patent Lawyers Association (EPLAW), Board member (2014-2019)
AIPPI Finland, President (2004-2011), Board member (2001-2003)
Helsinki Bar Association, Board member (1998-2002)
University of Helsinki, LL.M. (1986)
English, Finnish, Swedish
Exceptionally responsive and attentive, Rainer is the number one choice for disputes.WTR 1000