Mikko Manner is the Managing Partner of Roschier.
Mikko has extensive experience in both contentious and non-contentious IP and ICT work, with an emphasis on patent, copyright and trade secrets licensing both on a standalone basis and in connection with products and services. He also has considerable experience in IP disputes.
Mikko has acted for clients representing a wide range of IP-intensive industries, such as software and services, media and entertainment and telecommunications. He also regularly advises clients on IP and technology issues in transactional and strategic contexts. In addition, Mikko has first and second chair trial experience of arbitration, mediation and litigation before the Helsinki District Court and the Helsinki Court of Appeals.
Mikko has been praised by clients as being “better than many others because he’s more customer-oriented and less law-oriented” (Chambers Europe, 2012), and one client commented, in connection with the ILO Client Choice 2015, that “he provides excellent legal advice from a legal perspective, as can be expected from a partner, but he sets the mark in his commercial and solution oriented approach, which is exceptional also on a global scale.”
Previously, Mikko has worked as in-house counsel at Nokia Research Center and at Nokia Technology Platforms, with a particular focus on software development and licensing, including open source software related processes, for nearly four years altogether.
Mikko has won the International Law Office (ILO) Client Choice Award for Intellectual Property in Finland in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2016. In addition, he has been awarded with the Best Lawyers – Lawyer of the Year 2014 and 2018 awards for Technology, and the Best Lawyers – Lawyer of the Year 2016 award for Information Technology in Finland. In 2010, he was awarded with the “Golden Radio Award” by RadioMedia, the Finnish Association of Commercial Radio Broadcasters, for his work on the copyright issues in the media industry.
Mikko is ranked in Band 1 by e.g. Chambers Europe within TMT. He is also recognized as one of the leading experts in the country within intellectual property, TMT, information technology, licensing and litigation by international legal directories such as Chambers Global, IAM Licensing 250, IAM Patent 1000, Managing IP (IP Stars), The Legal 500, Who’s Who Legal and Best Lawyers. In addition, Who’s Who Legal ranks Mikko as a Thought Leader in both Data and Firm Management (2021).
According to clients, Mikko “has the capacity to see the case based on a short discussion” (Chambers Global, 2022) and they enthuse him as “an incredibly bright lawyer” (IAM Patent 1000, 2018): “Manner’s knowledge and negotiation skills are best in class” (Chambers Europe, 2018) and “he is by far the most talented adviser I’ve ever come across in my whole career. He’s one of these very rare people who is super-sharp and has a fantastic way with clients” (Chambers Europe, 2016). Further, according to clients Mikko is “a great communicator” and “a great combination of legal expertise and business acumen” (Chambers Europe, 2019). He also “offers business minded, to-the-point-advice”, has “excellent understanding of the overall deal dynamics and drivers” and is “reliable and caring” (The Legal 500, 2020).
Mikko Manner’s experience includes advising:
- Nokia regularly on a wide range of IP matters ranging from contentious patent, copyright and trade secret work to patent, copyright & trademark licensing and anti-counterfeiting as well as transactional IP work. From a broad range of cases, we have picked acting as the sole counsel in the global exclusive brand deal between Nokia and HMD global that sees the return of the Nokia brand into the mobile device domain and acting as the sole IP and technology counsel in Nokia’s acquisition of Withings S.A. Roschier has been advising Nokia as the global lead IP and technology counsel throughout its strategic transformation process, including EUR 5.44 billion sale of its Devices & Services business to Microsoft Corporation (Mikko Manner was the lead IP & Technology counsel for Nokia in the transaction and responsible for, among other issues, the external counsel work on the 10 year trademark license for “NOKIA” to Microsoft and the 10 year patent license to Nokia’s IP portfolio to Microsoft Corporation as well as a number of intellectual asset related ancillary agreements and conceptual planning), the EUR 15.6 billion combination with Alcatel-Lucent, and the sale of HERE digital mapping and location services business to an automotive industry consortium comprising AUDI AG, BMW Group and Daimler AG. The transaction valued HERE at an enterprise value of EUR 2.8 billion. Recently, Roschier also advised Nokia in the negotiation and closing of its patent cross license renewal deal with Samsung from South Korea. These are only the latest transactions in a long line of high-end lead counsel work for Nokia, which includes e.g. all IP assignment and licensing aspects in the divestment of a) broadband modem technology to Renesas Inc., b) in the out-sourcing of Symbian software development to Accenture, c) the sale of Vertu Corporation to EQT, d) the purchase of Scalado’s imaging technologies into Nokia, and e) the sale of Qt Commercial to Digia;
- The shareholders in the sale of Relax Gaming to Kindred Group;
- A Finnish telecoms operator in a patent litigation relating to alleged patent infringement related to GSM roaming solutions against a foreign non-practicing entity;
- Leading telecoms operators in the design, sales and marketing of IPTV and nPVR offerings in Finland;
- SBS Nordic’s TV and radio operations in a variety of regulatory and transactional matters, including representing SBS against the Finnish Communications Regulatory Authority in a number of broadcasting license related processes in the administrative courts;
- A global listed industrial equipment manufacturer in the development of its global patent licensing strategy and licensing program;
- A global listed healthcare equipment and software provider in a variety of issues related to its supply chain, including disputes around software delivery projects.
Roschier (2006-), Partner (2010-); Head of Helsinki office (2016-2019); Managing Partner since 2019
Nokia, Legal Counsel, Java & Open Source (2004-2006)
Roschier Holmberg, Attorneys Ltd., Associate Lawyer (2001-2004)
Nokia Research Center /Helsinki, Visiting Lawyer (2001-2002, 2003)
IPR University Center /Helsinki, Secretary to the Board (1999-2000)
Member of the Finnish Bar Association
Member of the IBA
Member of the ABA
Member of AIPPI
Member of the EuroITCounsel
Member of the Finnish Association for Industrial Property Rights (STY)
Member of the International Technology Law Association (ITechLaw)
Member of the Finnish IT Law Association
Finnish IT Law Association, Board member (2006-2009)
IP Advisory Committee, Eclipse Foundation, Invited expert (2005-2006)
Finnish chapter in “Copyright Litigation: Jurisdictional comparisons” 2nd edition 2015, with T. Komppa, The European Lawyer Reference
Finnish chapter in “The Technology, Media and Telecommunications Review” 5th edition 2014, with A. Haapanen and S. Laes, Law Business Research Ltd.
Finnish chapter in “Sourcing World: Jurisdictional comparisons” 2nd edition 2015, with A. Haapanen and J. Sinkkonen, The European Lawyer Reference
University of Helsinki, LL.M. (2001)
English, Finnish, Swedish
Manner’s knowledge and negotiation skills are best in class.Chambers Europe