Miikka Konttinen is a Helsinki-based Partner and Head of Roschier’s Industrial Investments practice. Miikka has approximately fifteen years of experience in the energy sector and specializes in large-scale industrial projects (green and brownfield, joint ventures, over the fence delivery models, process licensing, feedstock and product sales, etc.) and in sourcing contracts. Miikka has hands-on experience of projects throughout their life cycle, as well as contract management and sourcing processes.
In addition to his focus on energy & infrastructure and industrial investments, Miikka has extensive experience from advising on various technology-related matters such as ICT outsourcing, business transformation projects, cloud services, software licensing and all things digital.
Miikka is recognized as one of the leading individuals in Finland within TMT, information technology, project development, energy: oil & gas and energy: power/electricity by international directories, such as Chambers Europe, The Legal 500, IFLR1000 and Who’s Who Legal. Miikka is also the exclusive winner of the 2022 Client Choice award for Data – Information Technology in Finland.
Clients describe Miikka as “very knowledgeable and solution-oriented” (The Legal 500, 2023), a ”dedicated specialist” (Chambers Europe, 2020) who is “always able to provide an excellent service” (Chambers Europe, 2023). He is recognized for having “an excellent understanding of IT operations, which supports very well the legal negotiations with suppliers” (The Legal 500, 2020).
Further, clients praise Miikka for his “exceptionally good capabilities at the negotiation strategy creation level as well as performing the negotiations” (The Legal 500, 2020). He is “logical, thorough, well-spoken and quick to adapt. His ability to seamlessly bridge the gap between legal framework and the realities on the ground is an asset” for the client (IFLR1000, 32nd edition).
One client comments: “Miikka’s previous experience as an in-house counsel gives him a better view of a company’s inner workings, as well as the challenges in-house counsels face in their jobs” (The Legal 500, 2022). And another one continues: “Miikka Konttinen has a very good understanding of our business and good capability to utilise that knowledge” (Chambers Europe, 2023). A third client comments: “Easy to approach and contact. Feels they always prioritise our topics. Good resolutions for our issues and needs. No need to spend lot of time to explain the topics/issues. These comments goes especially to Miikka Konttinen” (The Legal 500, 2023).
According to Who’s Who Legal, Miikka ranks as “one of the go-to data lawyers in the market, with peers praising him as a very prominent ICT lawyer” (Who’s Who Legal, 2023).
Miikka Konttinen’s experience includes advising:
- Infinited Fiber Company in the EUR 400 million investment to the first commercial-scale fiber factory;
- Nokia Corporation in its R&D Campus project development to Oulu, Finland;
- Finnish Minerals Group in the establishment of a CAM plant in Kotka, Finland together with Beijing Easpring Material Technology Co., Ltd;
- Finnish Minerals Group in the establishment of a pCAM battery plant in Hamina, Finland together with CNGR Advanced Material;
- Finnish Minerals Group in relation to their strategic partnership with Johnson Matthey plc’s battery materials plant in Vaasa, Finland; and
- Baltic Connector Oy in relation to the construction of the Balticconnector pipeline.
- Fortum in the sale of a majority stake in its Nordic electric vehicle charging point operator Fortum Recharge to Infracapital;
- Neste in a major corporate-wide business process transformation programme under which Neste implements globally new business processes and procures IT systems and services to support the new processes;
- Metso Outotec in major IT projects including global IT outsourcing deal as well software licensing & cloud procurements; and
- Epic Systems Corporation in all legal matters in Finland including for example the Apotti program under which the public healthcare and social care providers in the Metropolitan area of Helsinki and certain surrounding local governments are transforming their way of working and procuring a new client and patient data system from our client.
Roschier (2017-); Principal Associate (2018-2020), Partner since 2020
Castrén & Snellman, Counsel (2016-2017); Senior Associate (2015-2016)
Neste Corporation, Legal Counsel (2008-2015)
Member of the Finnish Bar Association
Member of the Finnish IT Law Association
Member of Finnish Association for Industrial Property Rights (STY)
International Nuclear Law Association in Finland (Kansainvälinen ydinlakiyhdistys Suomessa – Kylys ry.)
The Society of Construction Law (UK)
The Finnish IT Law Association, Secretary of the Board (2016-2017); Chairman of the Board (2017-2018)
University of Helsinki, LL.M. (2008)
Exceptionally good capabilities at the negotiation strategy creation level as well as performing the negotiations.The Legal 500