Laila Sivonen is a Helsinki-based Partner-elect. She is specialized in commercial dispute resolution as well as corporate compliance and ethics.
Laila’s practice covers arbitration, civil and administrative litigation as well as alternative dispute resolution. Laila has experience of international and domestic arbitration under various arbitration rules, including the ICC, FAI, SCC, and AAA as well as ad hoc arbitration. She has been involved in disputes relating to joint ventures and shareholders’ agreements, energy-related matters, service agreements, IT services, construction, litigation funding, employment law, insolvency, and competition law. She also regularly assists clients in enforcing arbitral awards and foreign judgments.
Laila has had a key role in several complex, multi-jurisdictional investigations relating to suspicions of white-collar crime. She regularly advises clients on anti-corruption, whistleblowing, and sanctions-related matters. Laila has also conducted several compliance risk assessments in connection with transactions.
Laila Sivonen’s experience includes advising:
- Claimant, a multinational energy company, in an ICC arbitration against their supplier concerning a multi-year cooperation relating to wind power projects;
- Respondents and Counterclaimants, two international IT and telecommunications companies, against their global supplier in an ICC arbitration concerning an IT services dispute;
- Claimant in emergency arbitrator proceedings under the SCC Rules relating to unpaid deliveries of natural gas with claims valued at USD 250 million;
- Respondent, a Finnish listed company, in domestic arbitration concerning shareholders’ agreement, against another listed company.
- Respondent, an international telecommunications company, in challenge proceedings before Finnish courts.
- a Finnish association in a cluster of civil, criminal and administrative proceedings including an administrative dispute;
- Respondent, Nordic Sugar, a company in the Nordzucker -group of companies in ad hoc international arbitration proceedings pertaining to an alleged breach of shareholders’ agreement.
- a Finnish corporation in connection with a global compliance risk assessment, including strategic advice concerning findings and compliance improvements;
- Clients on dispute risk management and alternative dispute resolution;
- Clients on building and implementing effective compliance programs, including whistleblowing procedure, as well as related policies;
- Clients in interim relief proceedings before the national courts, including asset seizure and injunctions as well as related enforcement.
Roschier (2013-), Principal Associate (2021-2023), Partner-elect (2023-)
Aldea Attorneys at Law Ltd. Associate (2011-2013)
Lindfors & Co. Attorneys at Law, Associate Lawyer (2011)
Member of the Finnish Bar Association
Member of Young Arbitration Club Finland (YACF)
Member of the Finnish Bar Association’s Committee on Education (2015-2022)
University of Helsinki, LL.M. (2011)