Juhani Sinkkonen is a Helsinki-based Counsel specialized in dispute resolution, with an emphasis on intellectual property disputes. Juhani’s other focus areas are marketing & consumer law and regulatory matters.
Juhani has trial experience before national courts in a wide variety of matters including IP disputes, private enforcement of competition law, commercial disputes, unfair competition lawsuits, product liability litigation and criminal matters. In addition, Juhani has advised clients in international enforcement of intellectual property rights as well as in proceedings before self-regulatory boards of the industry. Apart from dispute resolution work Juhani has experience also in non-contentious intellectual property matters such as transactional intellectual property work and licensing.
Juhani regularly advises clients in various types of marketing & consumer law and regulatory matters including marketing campaigns, consumer contracts, product information requirements and sector-specific prerequisites for market entry including e.g. matters related to medical devices, gambling, electric and motor vehicles, and travel industry.
Juhani is recognized by Managing Intellectual Property as an IP Rising Star (Managing Intellectual Property 2019, 2022).
Juhani Sinkkonen’s experience includes advising:
- Nokia in contentious IP matters including acting as Finnish counsel to Nokia in the patent litigation project resulting in the settlement with Apple;
- Several innovative pharmaceutical companies in preliminary injunction, patent infringement, invalidation and damages proceedings against generic drug manufacturers including litigation before Finnish civil courts;
- Clients from other industry sectors in preliminary injunction, evidence seizure, patent infringement and invalidation proceedings before Finnish civil courts;
- Clients from different industry sectors before Finnish civil courts in damages proceedings based on alleged breach of EU competition law;
- Technology companies in contentious employee invention matters;
- A telecom operator in combined litigation proceedings against 14 contracting parties;
- Multinational consumer goods and services companies in matters related to marketing and consumer contracts.
Roschier (2011-), Counsel (2022-)
District Court of Päijät-Häme, Trainee Judge (2010-2011)
European Central Bank, Lawyer-Linguist trainee (2009)
Member of the Finnish Bar Association
Member of AIPPI
Member of Finnish Association for Industrial Property Rights (STY)
“Korkein oikeus selkiytti todistelun turvaamisen edellytyksiä – ja kompasteli arvioidessaan hakijan oikeutta saada tieto turvatusta todistelusta” (The Supreme Court Clarified Prerequisites for Measures to Preserve Evidence – and Stumbled When Assessing the Applicant’s Right to Access Preserved Evidence), IPRinfo 2/2019
Finnish Supreme Court Assessed Prerequisites for “Preservation of Evidence and Access to Evidence in IPR Cases”, EPLAW Patent Blog 27 March 2019
“Haittaharkinnasta tavaramerkkioikeuteen perustuvissa turvaamistoimiasioissa – kaksi tapausta tunnusten muuttamisen aiheuttamasta haitasta” (On balance of convenience test in preliminary injunction matters based on trademarks—two cases on inconvenience caused by altering of marks), Defensor Legis 4/2016
“Finnish chapter in Sourcing World: Jurisdictional comparisons 2nd edition 2015”, co-authors Mikko Manner and Anna Haapanen, The European Lawyer
University of Lapland, LL.M. (2008)
English, Finnish, German, Swedish