Johanna Flythström is a Helsinki-based Principal Associate specialized in both contentious and non-contentious IP and technology work with an emphasis on transactional IP and technology work (including licensing) as well as IP and technology disputes. She has extensive experience in advising clients on a broad range of strategic and commercial IP and technology issues, such as advisory work on all stages of IP lifecycle including IP acquisition (whether stand-alone, in employee contexts, or in collaborations), IP commercialization, and enforcement. In addition to IP and technology advisory work, Johanna’s experience includes also frequently advising clients in various contractual, regulatory, and marketing law matters in particular in the fields of life sciences, TMT, and digitalization. Johanna has also considerable experience from acting as a counsel in IP and technology disputes, including in multi-jurisdictional IP litigations.
Apart from her Finnish LL.M. degree, Johanna holds a post-graduate LL.M. degree from the University of California, Berkeley, School of Law (Boalt Hall), as well as a M.Sc. (Tech.) degree from the Helsinki University of Technology (Aalto University). Johanna is an authorized patent attorney in Finland and a member of the State Bar of California.
Johanna has also strong commercial experience in IP with several years of experience in a broad range of in-house IP work (including protection, management, commercialization, and enforcement of IP) with Nokia Corporation and Nokia Siemens Networks prior to joining Roschier in 2009. Johanna has further expanded her in-house experience in the R&D- and IP-intensive context by working as a secondee in GE Healthcare as well as in Nokia Technologies both in Finland and in Silicon Valley in the US.
Johanna is an appointed member in the Finnish Ministry of Employment and the Economy’s working group on industrial property rights which acts as a forum in support of legislative work – both on national and international aspects – in the field of industrial property rights. She is also a member of the international AIPPI’s Standing Committee on Patents and a member of the Finnish Bar Association’s expert group on intellectual property rights. Previously Johanna has also served as the President of the Finnish Association for Industrial Property Rights (STY) in 2015-2018.
Johanna is recognized by international publications such as Chambers Europe and IAM Patent 1000. Johanna receives praise for her “superb experience drafting global patent licensing agreements, as well as deep expertise regarding SEP matters” (IAM Patent 1000, 2020). Further, clients highlight her “systematic approach and endurance on big deals” (Chambers Europe, 2020).
Johanna Flythström’s experience includes advising:
- Nokia regularly on a wide range of contentious and non-contentious IP- and technology-related assignments spanning from IP licensing and commercial work to transactional IP work, patent litigations, and international arbitrations, including Roschier acting for Nokia: (i) in the project resulting in the settlement with Apple; (ii) in its negotiations with Samsung resulting in an expanded patent cross license agreement between the two companies; (iii) as the sole counsel in the strategic intellectual property and exclusive brand licensing deal between Nokia and HMD global that will see the NOKIA brand return to the mobile phone and tablet markets on a global basis; (iv) in the EUR 2.8 billion sale of HERE digital mapping and location services business to an automotive industry consortium comprising AUDI AG, BMW Group and Daimler AG as the global lead technology and IP counsel to Nokia; (v) in the EUR 15.6 billion combination with Alcatel-Lucent; (vi) in the EUR 5.44 billion sale of Nokia’s Devices & Services business to Microsoft Corporation as the global lead technology and IP counsel to Nokia; (vii) in the sale of Nokia’s Vertu-branded Luxury mobile phone business; and (viii) in the sale of Nokia Wireless Modem R&D unit of over 1100 employees to Renesas Corporation, Japan;
- McAfee and Intel in IP- and technology-related aspects in connection with McAfee’s USD 389 million acquisition of Stonesoft Corporation;
- A Finnish telecoms operator in a patent litigation relating to alleged patent infringement related to GSM roaming solutions against a foreign non-practicing entity;
- Major pharmaceutical companies in preliminary injunction, patent infringement and invalidation proceedings against generic drug manufacturers involving litigation before both civil and administrative courts;
- A pan-European television and radio broadcaster in regulatory enforcement proceedings related to broadcasting license compliance in the administrative courts;
- Technology sector clients in employee intellectual property related matters.
Roschier (2009-), Principal Associate (2017-)
Nokia Technologies (Silicon Valley/Espoo), Visiting Lawyer (2015-2016)
GE Healthcare, Visiting Lawyer (2013-2014)
Nokia Siemens Networks, IPR Legal Counsel (2009)
Nokia Siemens Networks, Senior IPR Specialist (2007-2009)
Nokia Corporation, IPR, Patent Filing and Prosecution, Patent Engineer (2005-2007)
Member of the Finnish Bar Association
Member of the State Bar of California
Authorized Patent Attorney (Finland)
CEDR Accredited Mediator (CEDR)
Approved mediator (Finnish Bar Association)
Member of the American Bar Association
Member of AIPPI
Member of the Finnish Association for Industrial Property Rights (STY)
Member of the Finnish IT Law Association
Member of ITechLaw
Member of LES
Member of the Finnish Sports Law Association
Member of the Finnish Bar Association’s Standing Committee on Mediation (2018-)
Finnish Association for Industrial Property Rights (STY), Treasurer (2010-2013), Member of the Board (2013-2018), Vice President (2014), President (2015-2018)
Finnish Association for Industrial Property Rights (STY), Treasurer (2010-2013), Member of the Board (2013-), Vice President (2014), President (2015-)
Ministry of Employment and the Economy (in Finland), Member of the Working Group on Industrial Property Rights (2014-)
AIPPI, Member of the Standing Committee on Patents (2015-)
Member of the Finnish Bar Association’s Expert Group on Intellectual Property Rights (2016-)
“Yhdistetty patenttituomioistuin – kohti yhtenäistä eurooppalaista patenttijärjestelmää” (“The Unified Patent Court – towards a uniform European patent system”), co-authored with Rainer Hilli, Defensor Legis 2016/4
“Ambush Marketing – What Is It and What Can Be Done to Prevent It?”, co-authored with Mikael Segercrantz, Bookwell, 2016
“Global Patent Litigation: How and Where to Win”, Finnish chapter, co-authored with Rainer Hilli and Mikael Segercrantz, BNA, 2014 and 2016
“Global Patent Litigation: Structure and Practice”, Finnish chapter, co-authored with Rainer Hilli, Kluwer Law International, 2013 and 2016
“Advertising Law: A Global Legal Perspective”, Finnish chapter, co-authored with Mikael Segercrantz and Suvi Laes, Global Advertising Lawyers Alliance, 2015
“Ambush Marketing: A Global Legal Perspective”, Finnish chapter, co-authored with Mikael Segercrantz, Global Advertising Lawyers Alliance, 2014
“The International Comparative Legal Guide to Patents”, Finnish chapter, co-authored with Rainer Hilli, GLG, 2012
University of California, Berkeley, School of Law (Boalt Hall), LL.M. (2012)
University of Helsinki, LL.M. (2009)
Helsinki University of Technology, M.Sc.(Tech.) (2006)
English, Finnish, Swedish, Spanish
Extremely talented in different kinds of patent work. Chambers Global