Erik Ficks is a Stockholm-based Partner and Head of Roschier’s Intellectual Property, Brand Protection, Marketing & Consumer, and Public Procurement practices. He is specialized in matters of contentious and non-contentious intellectual property (IP) work, including matters of marketing law and trade secrets, as well as in public procurement matters in several industry sectors. Erik has extensive experience from acting as counsel in arbitration proceedings and before national courts, including in multi-jurisdictional IP litigation and in administrative appeals. He also has extensive experience from multi-jurisdictional IP licensing, brand protection, technology transfers and R&D collaborations and complex commercial contracts.
Erik’s work experience includes working with IP in London for a major law firm.
Erik is recognized as one of the leading experts in intellectual property in Sweden by international legal directories such as Chambers Europe and Chambers Global, Managing IP (IP Stars) and IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Professionals.
According to clients Erik “has a razor-sharp mind and quickly hones in on the most critical issues, producing analyses that are clear and precise. He handles his cases with great skill, devotion and care and keeps his clients engaged in the process.” (IAM Patent 1000, 2020). He is described as “easy to work with, very service-minded and with an excellent understanding of the business and how the IP legal issues fit into the bigger picture” (The Legal 500, 2020). Clients highlight him as well versed in each stage of the trademark lifecycle, as an “expert at problem solving” and they say that his “expertise is invaluable” (WTR 1000, 2020). He is further recognized as “solution-oriented, well prepared and always accessible” (Chambers Europe, 2019) as well as “extremely responsive and proactive”. Clients also command his “business-oriented, hard-working and focused” approach (Chambers Europe, 2018.
Erik Fick’s experience includes advising:
- Fortum in the sale of its 50 percent ownership in Stockholm Exergi Holding to an investor consortium led by APG;
- Bonnierförlagen Publishing Software in the licensing of Mockingbird™ to Norstedts Förlagsgrupp;
- Bonnier Books in the acquisition of 70% of the shares in Strawberry Publishing;
- Kenza Zouiten AB in a landmark case against the Swedish Consumer Ombudsman in the Swedish Patent and Market Court;
- Patricia Industries in Apoteket AB’s investment in Doktor 24 AB;
- Volkswagen Group in its 75.1% stake investment in Wireless Car;
- Nokia in the project resulting in the settlement with Apple;
- KKR, a leading global investor, in its acquisition of a 50% stake in Välinge, a Swedish industrial R&D company founded and owned by the Perván family;
- Zymetech ehf. and its owners on the combination with Enzymatica AB (publ);
- Sulake, the international media and entertainment company, in defense of its business model and user terms and condition on the social game and online community Habbo. Sulake was sued by the Swedish Consumer Ombudsman in 2011 and the non-appealable judgment by the Swedish Market Court was rendered in June 2013, dismissing all claims by the Swedish Consumer Ombudsman and ordering the Swedish Consumer Ombudsman to reimburse Sulake for legal costs and expenses. This is a landmark case on e-commerce as well as marketing and consumer law in relation to minors in Sweden and the EU, applying harmonized EU law on unfair commercial practices.
Roschier (2007-), Partner since 2016
Uppsala University, Guest lecturer (2015-)
Herbert Smith /London, Visiting lawyer (2012)
Luleå University of Technology, Guest lecturer (2008)
Member of the Swedish Bar Association
Member of Licensing Executives Society (LES)
Member of International Trademark Association (INTA)
Member of European Patent Lawyers Association (EPLAW)
AIPPI, Member of the Communications Committee (2014-2018)
AIPPI Sweden, Deputy Board Member
Swedish Anti-Counterfeiting Group (SACG), Member of the Board, President (2017-2018)
EPLAW Patent Blog, Member of the Editorial Board
Akademin för Immaterial-, Marknadsförings- och Konkurrensrätt (IMK), Uppsala University, Member of Practitioners Council (Praktikerrådet)
“En ny svensk patentlag – en försummad möjlighet” (A new Swedish Patent Act – a Neglected Opportunity”), Nordiskt Immateriellt Rättsskydd/Nordic Intellectual Property Law Review (NIR), no. 5/2015
“Om det icke-existerande eller harmoniserade parodiundantaget i svensk upphovsrätt” (“On the Non Existing or Harmonised Parody Exception in Swedish Copyright Law”), Nordiskt Immateriellt Rättsskydd/Nordic Intellectual Property Law Review (NIR), no. 3/2015
“Permissible Use of a Third Party Trademark – No Damage, No Infringement”, World Intellectual Property Review (WIPR), no 9/2014
”Avtal om att lösa en tvist genom medling utgör inte rättegångshinder eller hinder mot skiljeförfarande” (”Agreement to resolve a dispute by mediation is no procedural impediment against litigation or arbitration”), Juridisk Tidskrift (JT), no. 3 2013/14
“Sweden” in De Palo and Trevor (Ed.): “EU Mediation Law and Practice”, Oxford University Press, 2012
“New Swedish Trademark Act Provides Needed Modernization, But Many Was Hoping for More”, World Intellectual Property Report (WIPR), no. 12/2010
”Interimistiska förbud vid intrång i läkemedelspatent” (”Preliminary injunctions against infringements of pharmaceutical patents”), Nordiskt Immateriellt Rättsskydd/Nordic Intellectual Property Law Review (NIR), no. 2/2009
“Models of General Court-Connected Conciliation and Mediation for Commercial Disputes in Sweden, Australia and Japan”, Zeitschrift für Japanisches Recht/Journal of Japanese Law, no. 25/2008
Uppsala University, LL.M. (2007)
An expert at problem solving and his expertise is invaluable. WTR 1000