Markus Olsson is a Stockholm-based Partner who specializes in private M&A, private equity and energy & infrastructure.
Markus has extensive experience in private M&A and private equity transactions, having represented major international private equity sponsors and corporate investors on large-scale domestic and cross-border transactions, including buy-outs, exits, joint ventures, restructurings, equity financings and general corporate matters. He has particular experience and knowledge from transactions and other projects within the energy and infrastructure sectors.
Markus is recognized as an expert in his field in Sweden (e.g. by The Legal 500). Clients describe him as “an outstanding lawyer who is always structured and focused on the key topics, even under very high pressure” (The Legal 500, 2020) and “very good in all aspects of the transaction” (IFLR1000, 32nd edition). Also, clients say that Markus is “pleasant to work with” and he has “a good economic understanding” which makes him “the perfect legal companion in complex transactions“ (The Legal 500, 2020).
Further according to the Legal 500, Markus is “recommended for corporate deals in the energy and infrastructure sectors” (The Legal 500, 2023).
Markus Olsson’s experience includes advising:
- Outokumpu in its strategic investment in Envigas;
- Statkraft in its acquisitions of Njordr Offshore Wind and Svevind Nordic;
- Outokumpu in the divestment of its remaining Long Products operations in Sweden;
- Brunswick Real Estate in the sale of its debt business, Brunswick Real Estate Capital, to Niam;
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan in Kry’s USD 160 million convertible loan financing;
- Volkswagen in Northvolt’s USD 1.1 billion capital raise;
- Nordstjernan in its investment in audience engagement company Mentimeter;
- Nordstjernan in its investment in med-tech company Ascilion;
- IK Partners in the acquisition of FCG Group;
- IK Partners in the acquisition of Truesec;
- APG Asset Management N.V. in the acquisition of Vasa Vind Holdings AB;
- Scania Sverige in the acquisition of Bilmetro;
- Nordstjernan in its investment in insurtech company Insurello;
- Volkswagen in Northvolt’s USD 2.75 billion equity financing;
- Patricia Industries, and its subsidiary Vectura, in the SEK 3.9 billion sale of the Grand Group and the Grand Hôtel property to FAM;
- Nordstjernan in its investment in fintech company Roaring;
- Bonnier Books in the acquisition of 70% of the shares in Strawberry Publishing;
- Investcorp-backed ABAX in its acquisition of Automile;
- Volkswagen in Northvolt’s USD 600 million equity capital raise;
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan in KRY’s €140 million capital raise;
- Volkswagen in Northvolt’s USD 1 billion capital raise;
- IK Small Cap II Fund, a fund advised by IK Investment Partners Ltd, in its acquisition of BST Brandskyddsteamet AB, a leading Swedish provider of active fire protection services, from Infrea AB (publ), the founders and managers;
- 3i, and funds managed by 3i, on its sale of OneMed to Nalka;
- Volkswagen Group in its 75.1% stake investment in Wireless Car;
- Funds managed by KKR and Triton in the sale of Mehiläinen Group;
- APG Asset Management in the EUR 300 million acquisition of the Åskälen onshore wind power project from HgCapital;
- Funds advised by CVC Capital Partners in the acquisition of Etraveli from ProSiebenSat.1. and the management of the target group;
- Macquarie and Icon (Capstone) Infrastructure in their sale of Värmevärden to JP Morgan Asset Management.
Roschier (2010-); Partner since 2018
Slaughter and May /London, Visiting Lawyer (2012)
Linklaters, Associate (2007-2010)
Member of the Swedish Bar Association
Swedish chapter in “Global Legal Insights – Energy” 7th edition 2019, with B. Gustafsson, Global Legal Group Ltd
Swedish chapter in the 2017 edition of The European Energy Handbook, with B. Winström
Swedish chapter in “Global Legal Insights – Energy” 4th edition 2015, with B. Winström, D. Hanquist, Global Legal Group Ltd.
Uppsala University, LL.M. (2007)
The perfect legal companion in complex transactions.The Legal 500