Kristian Hugmark is Head of Roschier’s EU & Competition practice and co-Head of the Corporate Compliance & Investigations practice in Sweden. Kristian practices all areas of competition law and State aid in Sweden and in the EU, across all industries. He is also experienced in regulatory matters, in particular related to the transport and telecom industries.
Before joining Roschier in 2015, Kristian was based in Brussels for 13 years, working both for the European Commission and in private practice.
Kristian is recognized as one of the leading experts within EU, competition law and State aid in Sweden by international legal directories such as Chambers Europe, Who’s Who Legal (Competition and State aid), the Legal 500 and Best Lawyers.
According to Chambers Europe, Kristian is “an intelligent lawyer, who provides clear and useful guidance and who has international experience on big deals” (Chambers Europe, 2021). Who’s Who Legal states that “Kristian Hugmark is a leading light in the competition space where he enjoys a stellar reputation for his excellence on merger review and control” (Who’s Who Legal, National Guide for Sweden 2020, Competition). Further, according to clients, Kristian “stands out for his concise advice and understanding of his clients’ business” (The Legal 500, 2019) and they praise Kristian’s “knowledge of how best to service the customer in a proactive way” (Chambers Europe, 2018). They also endorse him as an individual who is “strategic, thinks outside the box and has proved to be the perfect partner to discuss difficult issues with” (The Legal 500, 2020). In Who’s Who Legal’s Competition – Future Leaders 2017 edition, Kristian is described as “excellent” and known for his “very practical approach to advisory work and a thorough knowledge of how to deploy economics effectively in competition law”.
Kristian Hugmark’s experience includes advising:
- IK Partners in the acquisition of Truesec;
- Bonnier and Gota Media in their acquisition of Skånska Dagbladet;
- Fortum in the sale of its 50 percent ownership in Stockholm Exergi Holding to an investor consortium led by APG;
- TA Associates in connection with the public tender offer for Elos Medtech;
- CVC in its USD 1.45 billion sale of AR Packaging Group to Graphic Packaging;
- R12 Kapital in its sale of Aditro to SD Worx People Solutions;
- Patricia Industries, and its subsidiary Vectura, in the SEK 3.9 billion sale of the Grand Group and the Grand Hôtel property to FAM;
- Broadridge Financial Solutions in its acquisition of Itiviti;
- Ingka Investment in its investment in Ikano Bank;
- CVC Capital Partners in the acquisition of Stark Group;
- Funds advised by the Blackstone Group in its SEK 18.1 billion acquisition of 214 industrial properties from Castellum;
- Bonnier Books in the acquisition of 70% of the shares in Strawberry Publishing;
- Stena Adactum and Altor in the public offer for Gunnebo;
- Triton on its public offer for HiQ International;
- Rite Ventures in the acquisition of 23.3 percent of the shares in Qliro Group AB (publ) from Kinnevik AB (publ);
- KKR Credit in a NOK 1,209 million investment in Avida Holding AB (publ);
- MittMedia and Amedia in their acquisition of Hall Media;
- Swedol AB (publ) and the independent bid committee of the board of directors of Swedol in connection with the public offer from Momentum Group AB (publ) against cash or newly issued shares in Momentum Group;
- Blackstone in the SEK 12.2 billion sale of its majority stake in Hembla AB (publ) to Vonovia SE;
- Bonnier in the SEK 9.2 billion sale of Bonnier Broadcasting to Telia Company;
- Altor Fund IV in the acquisition of Trioplast Industrier AB;
- Trygg-Hansa in relation to the Swedish Competition Authority investigation into the insurance sector. A series of on-site inspections (dawn raids) took place in spring 2017. All major insurance companies in Sweden, as well as the largest insurance broker are being investigated;
- Sandvik as their full service deal counsel including handling the global coordination of competition authority approval processes of 1) the SEK 5 billion carve-out and divestment of the Sandvik Process Systems division to Foundation Asset Management AB, owned by the three largest Wallenberg foundations, and 2) the SEK 4 billion sale of Hyperion, a company delivering advanced wear-resistant tools, applications and components in hard and super-hard materials, to KKR, the US-listed investment firm;
- Fortum Corporation in the restructuring of its ownership in Hafslund;
- TDC A/S in the SEK 2.9 billion sale of TDC Sverige AB to Tele2 Sverige AB.
Advokatfirman Vinge /Brussels, Resident partner (2011-2015)
Howrey LLP, Senior Associate (2003-2010)
The European Commission, DG Competition, Trainee (2002-2003)
Member of the Swedish Bar Association
Uppsala University, LL.M. (2001)
Strategic, thinks outside the box and has proved to be the perfect partner to discuss difficult issues with.The Legal 500