Jouni Salmi is Head of Roschier’s Private M&A practice and co-Head of the Public M&A practice in Finland. He has extensive experience in complex multi-jurisdictional transactions and divestments involving both industrial clients and private equity sponsors. Jouni has acted for numerous listed companies, private equity sponsors and multi-national corporations, and he has in-depth knowledge in a wide variety of industry sectors such as forest, airline and payment industries. His previous work experience includes working as in-house counsel for a major telecommunications operator in Sweden and Finland.
Jouni has extensive knowledge of both the Finnish and Swedish M&A market, and he has completed numerous deals in Finland and Sweden as well as in other jurisdictions. He is a member of the Bar Association in both Finland and Sweden, and holds an LL.M degree from the University of Brussels.
Jouni is ranked Band 1 in Corporate/M&A in Finland by Chambers Global and Chambers Europe. He is also recognized as one of the leading experts in corporate/M&A in Finland by international legal directories such as The Legal 500, IFLR1000 and Who’s Who Legal. Clients value Jouni for his “excellent responsiveness, commercial sense and industry knowledge” (Chambers Europe, 2018) as well as his “pragmatic and deal-driven approach” (Chambers Europe, 2020). He is described as “a deal maker who is able to take a really commercial view from the outset” and as “absolutely fantastic” (Chambers Global, 2017). Further, he is praised to be “very to the point, efficient, prudent and proactive in his work” and also “fun to work with and easygoing” (Chambers Global, 2015). Clients also state that Jouni “provides high-class service” (Chambers Europe, 2019) and “is a gifted M&A lawyer who is always available and takes care of his clients” (Chambers Europe, 2016).
Jouni Salmi’s experience includes advising:
- First Sentier Investors in the sale of 40% interest in Caruna to Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board and KKR;
- Akzo Nobel N.V. in its EUR 1.4 billion public competing proposal for a tender offer for all shares in Tikkurila Oyj;
- Neles in Alfa Laval’s EUR 1.7 billion recommended public cash tender offer for all the shares in Neles Corporation;
- Boels Group in its public cash tender offer for Cramo Plc;
- A-Katsastus Group and Bridgepoint in the sale of A-Katsastus Group to MB Funds;
- Loxam S.A.S in its EUR 970 million public tender offer for Ramirent Plc;
- Cognizant in the acquisition of Samlink;
- Telia Company in the legal separation of Telia’s Finnish tele and data communication infrastructure into a separate company, Telia Towers Finland Oy through a partial demerger;
- Investor consortium led by ANTA Sports Products Limited in the EUR 4.6 billion public offer for Amer Sports;
- A-Katsastus Group Oy and Bridgepoint in the sale of A-Katsastus Group’s business operations in Sweden, Estonia, Latvia and Poland to IK Investment Partners;
- Funds managed by CapMan Buyout in the sale of their holdings in Walki Group to One Equity Partners;
- First State Investments in the sale of Digita Oy to Digital Colony;
- Nets in the recommended all-cash takeover offer for Nets A/S by Evergood 5 AS, a newly formed company controlled by funds managed and advised by Hellman & Friedman LLC.
Roschier (2006-), Partner since 2010
TeliaSonera AB, Corporate Counsel (2003-2006)
Sonera Corporation, Senior Legal Counsel (2000-2003)
Law clerk, trained at the Bench (1998)
Brander & Manner Law Firm, Associate Lawyer (1997-2000)
Sampo Insurance Company, Claims Manager (1996)
Member of the Finnish Bar Association
Admitted to the EU Register of the Swedish Bar Association
University of Brussels, LL.M. (1997)
University of Turku, LL.M. (1996)
English, Finnish, Swedish
Excellent responsiveness, commercial sense and industry knowledge. Chambers Europe