Carl Persson is a Stockholm-based Partner-elect whose practice encompasses domestic and international commercial arbitration, as well as litigation. He has a dual degree in law and economics and specializes in disputes relating to M&A transactions, securities and finance, director and auditor liability and white-collar crime proceedings. Carl has acted as counsel in a significant number of arbitration and litigation proceedings in these areas. He also has extensive experience of energy-related disputes with an East-West angle.
Carl’s work experience includes working as a Foreign Associate in the litigation department of Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP in New York. During his time in the US, he represented a major consumer products company in product liability lawsuits filed around the US.
Carl is recognized as a future leader in both arbitration and litigation by Who’s Who Legal (Who’s Who Legal: Future Leaders – Arbitration 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 and Who’s Who Legal: Future Leaders – Litigation 2019 and 2020) as well as a national leader (Who’s Who Legal: National Leader in Arbitration 2020 and 2021).
Clients describe him as someone who “combines an excellent legal an procedural knowledge with an exceptional strategic thinking” and with the “ability to provide swift legal advice on complex matters” (The Legal 500, 2021). One client even notes that “Carl Persson is my go-to guy for disputes” (The Legal 500, 2021).
Carl Persson’s experience includes advising:
- A Swedish company as lead counsel in a EUR 35 million post M&A-dispute.
- A Swedish private equity company in a EUR 20 million M&A-dispute against a multinational professional services firm.
- A Swedish company in a post M&A-dispute in an SCC arbitration concerning an underlying dispute valued at EUR 100 million;
- One of the largest integrated component manufacturers in Asia in a post M&A-dispute under the SCC rules against a Swedish company concerning an underlying dispute valued at EUR 70 million;
- A Nordic company in a post M&A-dispute in the Supreme Court concerning an underlying dispute valued at EUR 40 million;
- An American oil company as claimant in a USD 300 million dispute against a leading Russian oil and gas supplier;
- A world-leading oil and gas company against an energy provider in challenge proceedings before the Court of Appeals concerning an underlying dispute valued at USD 250 million;
- A Swedish company in court proceedings against the former board members and the auditor of the company with damages claims exceeding USD 300 million;
- A group of investors against a Swedish company in court proceedings relating to investments in securities.
Roschier (2010-), Senior Associate (2014-2020), Principal Associate (2020-2022), Partner-elect (2022)
Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP, Foreign Associate (2015-2016)
Unilever, Visiting Lawyer (2012)
Member of the Swedish Bar Association
Member of the Swedish Arbitration Association
Member of the Young Arbitrators Sweden (YAS)
Member of the ICDR Young & International
Member of the Young ICCA
“Swedish Chapter”, (co-author with Johan Sidklev), The Third-Party Litigation Funding Law Review, 3rd Edition, 12/2019
“Swedish Chapter”, The Third-Party Litigation Funding Law Review, 1st Edition, 12/2017
“Third Party Funding in Sweden – Uncovering Uncharted Territory”, Kluwer Arbitration Blog
Stockholm University, LL.M. (2010)
Linköping University, B.Sc. (2009)
Carl combines an excellent legal and procedural knowledge with an exceptional strategic thinking.The Legal 500