Carl Persson is a Stockholm-based Principal Associate whose practice encompasses domestic and international commercial arbitration, as well as litigation. He has a dual degree in law and economics and specializes in disputes relating to M&A transactions, securities and finance, and director and auditor liability. Carl has acted as counsel in a significant number of arbitration and litigation proceedings in these areas. He also has extensive experience of energy-related disputes with an East-West angle.
Carl’s work experience includes working as a Foreign Associate in the litigation department of Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP in New York. During his time in the US, he represented a major consumer products company in product liability lawsuits filed around the US.
Carl is recognized as a future leader in both arbitration and litigation by Who’s Who Legal (Who’s Who Legal: Future Leaders – Arbitration 2018, 2019 and 2020 and Who’s Who Legal: Future Leaders – Litigation 2019 and 2020) as well as a national leader (Who’s Who Legal: National Leader in Arbitration 2020).
Clients describe Carl as a “a very critical thinker and a great strategist” as well as “a great asset to any legal team” (The Legal 500, 2020).
Carl Persson’s experience includes advising:
- A Swedish company in a post M&A-dispute in an SCC arbitration concerning an underlying dispute valued at EUR 100 million;
- One of the largest integrated component manufacturers in Asia in a post M&A-dispute under the SCC rules against a Swedish company concerning an underlying dispute valued at EUR 70 million;
- A Nordic company in a post M&A-dispute in the Supreme Court concerning an underlying dispute valued at EUR 40 million;
- An American oil company as claimant in a USD 300 million dispute against a leading Russian oil and gas supplier;
- A world-leading oil and gas company against an energy provider in challenge proceedings before the Court of Appeals concerning an underlying dispute valued at USD 250 million;
- A Swedish company in court proceedings against the former board members and the auditor of the company with damages claims exceeding USD 300 million;
- A group of investors against a Swedish company in court proceedings relating to investments in securities.
Roschier (2010-), Senior Associate (2014-2020), Principal Associate since 2020
Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP, Foreign Associate (2015-2016)
Unilever, Visiting Lawyer (2012)
Member of the Swedish Bar Association
Member of the Swedish Arbitration Association
Member of the Young Arbitrators Sweden (YAS)
Member of the ICDR Young & International
Member of the Young ICCA
“Swedish Chapter”, (co-author with Johan Sidklev), The Third-Party Litigation Funding Law Review, 3rd Edition, 12/2019
“Swedish Chapter”, The Third-Party Litigation Funding Law Review, 1st Edition, 12/2017
“Third Party Funding in Sweden – Uncovering Uncharted Territory”, Kluwer Arbitration Blog
Stockholm University, LL.M. (2010)
Linköping University, B.Sc. (2009)
A very critical thinker and a great strategist. The Legal 500