Ami Paanajärvi is a Helsinki-based Partner and Head of Roschier’s EU & Competition and Public Procurement practices in Finland. She has extensive experience in antitrust proceedings before the European Commission and the Finnish competition authority, and regularly advises clients in all types of competition law issues, particularly related to behavioral antitrust, merger control and dominance issues. Ami also has experience in State Aid procedures before the European Commission. She is recognized as one of the leading experts in her field in Finland.
Before joining Roschier in 2006, Ami spent six years as an attorney in Amsterdam and Brussels working for the law firm Stibbe. She has been a member of the New York Bar since 2003.
Ami regularly contributes articles to leading competition law publications such as Global Competition Review and Global Cartel Litigation Review as well as is the national reporter for publications such as the Jones/van der Woude European Competition Law Casebook and Lexis Nexis European Competition Law.
Ami is recognized as one of the leading experts in Finland in EU and competition law by international legal directories such as Chambers Europe, the Legal 500, Who’s Who Legal and Who’s Who Legal: Future Leaders – Competition.
According to clients, Ami is “very client-attentive, easily approachable, available and gives proper advice in a very down-to-earth way” (Chambers Europe, 2017). While praising the quality of her work, she is also described as “honest and easy-going” (Chambers Europe, 2018) and being “so bright and easy to work with, and solution-oriented” (Chambers Europe, 2016).
Ami Paanajärvi’s experience includes advising:
- Investor consortium led by ANTA Sports Products Limited in the EUR 4.6 billion public offer for Amer Sports Corporation;
- KONGSBERG, a Norwegian listed technology corporation, in its EUR 272 million acquisition of 49.9% of the shares in Patria Oyj from the State of Finland;
- First State Investments in the sale of Digita Oy to Digital Colony;
- Cognizant in the acquisition of Samlink;
- Humana AB in its acquisition of all shares in Coronaria Hoiva Oy from Coronaria Oy;
- Bonnier in the SEK 9.2 billion sale of Bonnier Broadcasting to Telia Company;
- Sponsor Capital (Sponsor Fund IV) in the acquisition of the majority share in Duell Bike Center;
- Funds managed by KKR and Triton in the sale of Mehiläinen Group;
- The Eltel companies in the cartel proceeding, in which the FCCA has alleged an infringement and proposed to the Market Court the imposition of a € 35 million fine. The FCCA’s fining proposal was dismissed by the Market Court in March 2016 as time-barred. The case is now pending before the Supreme Administrative Court based on the FCCA’s appeal;
- Digita Networks Oy in FICORA’s investigation related to Digita’s significant market power in the Finnish digital terrestrial television and radio broadcasting markets. The work included, inter alia, substantial statements to and meetings with FICORA and the European Commission, and a subsequent appeal of FICORA’s decision to the Supreme Administrative Court where an oral hearing which was held in January 2018;
- YIT Corporation in its combination with Lemminkäinen. The combination was effected through an absorption merger whereby Lemminkäinen was merged into YIT. The combination was subject to multijurisdictional merger notification which Roschier was handling as lead counsel assisted by local counsels in several jurisdictions. The merger was approved unconditionally in all jurisdictions it was notified in, including by the Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority which approved it on 26 January 2018 after a second phase investigation.
Roschier (2006-), Principal Associate (2014-2017), Partner since 2017
Stibbe /Brussels, Amsterdam, Associate Lawyer (2000-2005)
Member of the New York State Bar Association (NYSBA)
Member of the American Bar Association (ABA)
Member of the International Bar Association (IBA)
Member of Suomen Kilpailuoikeudellinen Yhdistys (Finnish Competition Law Association)
Member of the Legal Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce Finland (AmCham), Vice Chair (2015-)
The Legal 500: Cartels Country Comparative Guide, Finland (2019) with H. Puskala, Legalease Ltd.
GCLR – 2016 Volume 9 Issue 2/2016
GTDT Market Intelligence – Merger Control: Finland (2015, 2016, 2017), with N. Hukkinen, Law Business Research
GTDT Cartel Regulation (2012-2014), with C. Wik, Law Business Research
ABA Antitrust Year in Review: Finland (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
Chapter on cartels in “Kilpailuoikeus” (“Competition Law”), Talentum 2009 (M. Alkio, C. Wik)
”The European Commission’s 2006 Leniency Notice – for better or for worse?”, IBA Competition Law International, Vol 4 No 2, June 2008
Competition law developments across the region 2018, W@Competition, 3 October 2018 Vilnius (panel moderator)
Competition Law Nordic, KNect Informa, 2017, 2018 and 2019 (panel moderator)
GCR Live 2nd Annual Cartels, 28 March 2017, Washington DC (panelist)
Suuri Kilpailupäivä 2016 (The Competition Law Day 2016), Kauppakamarin koulutus, 19 May 2016 Helsinki (chairman and panelist)
Suuri Kilpailupäivä 2015 (The Competition Law Day 2015), Kauppakamarin koulutus, 17 September 2015 Helsinki (speaker)
“When is your lawyer not REALLY your lawyer?”, AmCham Finland and Association of Corporate Counsel Europe, 28 April 2015, Helsinki (speaker)
”Kilpailuoikeus ja päivittäistavarakauppa – sääntely ja valvonta kilpailulain muutosten valossa” (Competition law and retail – regulation and enforcement in light of the changes in the Competition Act), Edilex, 8 April 2014, Helsinki (speaker)
University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam Law School, LL.M. (2000)
Thames Valley University, School of law, London, LL.B Hons. (1999)
English, Finnish, Dutch
Very client-attentive, easily approachable, available and gives proper advice in a very down-to-earth way. Chambers Europe