Aapo Saarikivi heads Roschier’s Dispute Resolution practice in Finland.
He has extensive experience of representing parties in arbitration, litigation and dispute board proceedings, as well as in various forms of alternative dispute resolution in Finland and internationally. Aapo further provides strategic advice on dispute avoidance and claims management in various contentious settings. He also serves as arbitrator in domestic and international arbitrations.
Aapo‘s experience spans a variety of sectors, with a special emphasis on disputes relating to construction, industrial projects and energy, as well as the telecoms sector. He also has extensive experience of cartel damages actions. Aapo has further litigated and arbitrated M&A and corporate disputes, contentious finance and insolvency matters, and disputes relating to international trade & transport, agency & distribution, tax & customs and foreign investment.
In addition, Aapo manages the firm’s Corporate Compliance & Investigations practice in Finland.
Aapo is recognized as one of the leading experts in arbitration, litigation and dispute resolution in Finland by international legal directories such as Chambers Europe/Global, Who’s Who Legal, Benchmark Litigation and the Legal 500. Who´s Who Legal ranks him in the elite “Thought Leader” category for litigation while Benchmark Litigation ranks him as a Litigation Star.
According to clients, Aapo is “an outstanding litigator who capably handles litigation and arbitration in Finland and around the world” (The Legal 500, 2022). Further, he is commended as “a solid arbitration counsel with a keen eye for strategy” and an “efficient communicator who understands the business underpinnings of a case” (GAR 100, 2019). Aapo’s work is being described as “uniformly outstanding” (The Legal 500, 2021) and he is also praised for being “extremely diligent and knowledgeable” as well as “very responsive” and having “a great understanding of [client’s] business” (The Legal 500, 2020). Clients further highlight that Aapo is “clever, good in hearings and good with clients” (Chambers Europe, 2020) as well as being “pleasant to work with, he understands the client’s needs and his work is high-quality” (Chambers Europe, 2018).
Aapo Saarikivi’s experience includes advising:
- Nokia as lead counsel in an SCC arbitration arising under a patent license agreement against a North American software and technology company;
- Fennovoima in relation to its EPC Contract with Rosatom for the turnkey delivery of the Hanhikivi-1 nuclear power plant;
- The owner providing strategic counseling and advice on applicable law in relation to a major ICC arbitration over delays and disruption on a significant power plant project, including complex negotiations leading to a global settlement between the parties;
- Claimant in multiple concurrent FAI arbitrations concerning cartel damages claims valued at several hundred million euros;
- Claimant in emergency arbitrator proceedings under the SCC Rules relating to unpaid deliveries of natural gas with claims valued at USD 250 million;
- A Finnish corporation as defendant in a cartel damages action before the Finnish courts initiated by a claims vehicle, with claims exceeding EUR 100 million;
- An international bank in relation to multiple disputes arising out of the bankruptcy of its customer, and in securing the bank’s rights in connection with the bankruptcy.
Roschier (2007-), Partner since 2016
Bredin Prat /Paris, Visiting lawyer (2012)
Member of the Finnish Bar Association
Member of the International Bar Association
Member of the Finnish Arbitration Association
Member of the Swedish Arbitration Association (SAA)
Member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR
ICC YAF, regional representative (2017-2019)
Young Arbitration Club Finland (YACF), chair (2014-2015), founding board member (2012-2013)
University of Helsinki, LL.M. (2007)
Finnish Arbitration Academy (2014)
SAA Training Program for Arbitrators (2016-2017)
English, Finnish, Swedish, French
An outstanding litigator who capably handles litigation and arbitration in Finland and around the world.The Legal 500