Aapo Saarikivi is a Helsinki-based Partner specialized in commercial dispute resolution and he is heading the firm’s Corporate Compliance & Investigations practice in Finland. His practice covers arbitration, litigation and ADR. Apart from acting as counsel in legal proceedings, an important part of Aapo’s practice relates to dispute avoidance, claims management and strategic advisory work in various contentious settings. He also serves as arbitrator in domestic and international arbitrations.
Aapo‘s experience spans a variety of fields, with a special emphasis on disputes relating to industrial projects and energy, as well as the telecoms sector. He also has extensive experience of cartel damages actions, both in Finland and internationally.
In addition, Aapo has litigated and arbitrated M&A and corporate disputes, contentious finance and insolvency matters, and disputes relating to international trade & transport, agency & distribution, tax & customs and foreign investment.
Aapo has considerable experience of arbitrations conducted under the ICC, UNCITRAL, SCC and FAI Rules as well as ad hoc proceedings in different places of arbitration and under a variety of substantive laws.
In addition to his Finnish law degree, Aapo has studied law at Université Paul Cézanne Aix-Marseille III in France and completed a secondment with Bredin Prat in Paris. He frequently lectures and speaks on topics including arbitration and international trade law at the University of Helsinki as well as various seminars and conferences.
Aapo is recognized as one of the leading experts in arbitration, litigation and dispute resolution in Finland by international legal directories such as Chambers Europe/Global, Who’s Who Legal and the Legal 500. Who´s Who Legal ranks him in the elite “Thought Leader” category for litigation.
According to clients, Aapo is “a solid arbitration counsel with a keen eye for strategy” and an “efficient communicator who understands the business underpinnings of a case.” (GAR 100 2019). He is also praised for being “extremely diligent and knowledgeable” and “very responsive and has a great understanding of our business” (The Legal 500, 2020). Furthermore clients highlight that Aapo is “clever, good in hearings and good with clients” (Chambers Europe, 2020) as well as being “pleasant to work with, he understands the client’s needs and his work is high-quality” (Chambers Europe, 2018).
Aapo Saarikivi’s experience includes advising:
- Nokia as lead counsel in an SCC arbitration arising under a patent license agreement against a North American software and technology company;
- Fennovoima in relation to its EPC Contract with Rosatom for the turnkey delivery of the Hanhikivi-1 nuclear power plant;
- The owner in relation to a major ICC arbitration over delays and disruption on a significant power plant project, provided strategic counseling and advice on applicable law as well as advised in complex negotiations leading to a global settlement between the parties;
- Claimant in multiple concurrent FAI arbitrations concerning cartel damages claims valued at several hundred million euros;
- Claimant in emergency arbitrator proceedings under the SCC Rules relating to unpaid deliveries of natural gas with claims valued at USD 250 million;
- A Finnish corporation as defendant in a cartel damages action before the Finnish courts initiated by a claims vehicle, with claims exceeding EUR 100 million;
- An international bank in relation to multiple disputes arising out of the bankruptcy of its customer, and in securing the bank’s rights in connection with the bankruptcy.
Roschier (2007-), Partner since 2016
Bredin Prat /Paris, Visiting lawyer (2012)
Member of the Finnish Bar Association
Member of the International Bar Association
Member of the Finnish Arbitration Association
Member of the Swedish Arbitration Association (SAA)
Member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR
ICC YAF, regional representative (2017-2019)
Young Arbitration Club Finland (YACF), chair (2014-2015), founding board member (2012-2013)
University of Helsinki, LL.M. (2007)
Finnish Arbitration Academy (2014)
SAA Training Program for Arbitrators (2016-2017)
English, Finnish, Swedish, French
Pleasant to work with; he understands the client's needs and his work is high-quality. Chambers Europe