Sami Sunila is a Helsinki-based Senior Associate and member of the firm’s Intellectual Property and Public Procurement practice. He has extensive experience in advising clients on a wide range of contentious and non-contentious IPR issues with particular emphasis on copyright and trademark protection. Sami also frequently advises clients on various regulatory, contractual and marketing law matters.
Prior to joining Roschier, he worked as senior government secretary in the Ministry of Trade and Industry in Finland, covering intellectual property rights policy and legislation, and for several years as copyright expert in the European Commission.
In addition, Sami is a senior member of the firm’s Public Procurement practice with a particular focus and longstanding experience in procurements in the healthcare and social care sectors as well as the pharmaceutical industry.
Sami Sunila’s experience includes advising:
- Funds managed by KKR and Triton in the sale of Mehiläinen Group;
- A major international innovative pharmaceutical company in patent invalidity and in several declaratory proceedings relating to one of the world’s most sold pharmaceutical product;
- A Finnish industrial company in trade name and trademark infringement proceedings concerning the use of its signs in new fields of industry;
- A major internet service provider in court proceedings relating to blocking access to large file sharing websites;
- A major telecommunications company in copyright infringement proceedings against a Nordic copyright collecting society;
- A major Finnish construction company in appeal proceedings against the city of Hämeenlinna relating to public procurement of works for the new city center;
- An international consortium in a public-private partnership (PPP) project to build the highway E18 Koskenkylä – Kotka.
Ministry of Trade and Industry, Senior Government Secretary (Legal Affairs) (2005-2007)
European Commission, Specialist (2002-2004)
Ministry of Trade and Industry, Government Secretary (1998-2001)
State Guarantee Fund, Secretary General (2000-2001, 2005-2007)
Law clerk, trained at the Bench (1998)
Member of the Finnish Bar Association
Member of AIPPI
Member of ALAI
Member of the Finnish Association for Industrial Property Rights (STY)
Member of the Finnish Copyright Association
University of Helsinki, LL.M. (1996)
English, Finnish, Swedish