Paula Airas is a Helsinki-based Dispute Resolution Counsel specialized in commercial dispute resolution. Paula’s practice includes civil and criminal litigation, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution, including strategic advice for dispute avoidance.
Paula is experienced in a wide array of commercial disputes. Due to her background in working with transactions, she has special emphasis on M&A and other transactional disputes. Paula is also particularly experienced in complex insolvency matters with international aspects and supports clients both in insolvency related disputes and by providing strategic insolvency law advice.
Paula also has solid experience in various other areas such as corporate law and white collar crime, as well as industrial projects, where she has also gained valuable in-house experience from her secondment.
In addition, Paula has litigated and arbitrated disputes relating to international trade, product liability, business leases, international transport and agency & distribution matters, etc.
Apart from representing clients before courts and arbitral tribunals, Paula advises clients on strategic and compliance matters. She also regularly advises on various contractual matters and supports clients in drafting and negotiating their commercial agreements.
In addition to holding an LL.M. degree from the University of Lapland, Paula has studied law at Université Laval in Quebec, Canada. Paula has also trained at the Bench.
Paula Airas’ experience includes advising:
- Various domestic and international companies (both industrial and PE) acting as counsel in their post M&A disputes relating to e.g. purchase price calculation, preparation of closing accounts, earn-out rights, warranty matters, call-/put-options, walk-away rights, etc.;
- Large foreign conglomerates in several complex insolvency related disputes, with multinational links;
- Clients and representing them before Finnish courts in matters involving company law, board liability and white collar crime;
- In arbitration proceedings and acting as counsel under a variety of arbitration rules such as FAI and ICC, as well as in ad hoc proceedings. Acting as counsel and representing clients in ancillary court proceedings.
- Clients and representing them in interim relief proceedings before the national courts, including asset seizure and injunctions as well as their cross-border enforcement, etc.;
- Clients in matters relating to product liability.
Fennovoima Oy, Visiting Lawyer (1-3/2019)
Law clerk, trained at the Bench (2012)
Member of the Finnish Bar Association
Member of the Finnish Arbitration Association
Young Arbitration Club Finland
Swedish Arbitration Association (SAA)
Young International Arbitration Group of the London Centre for International Arbitration (YIAG)
FAI Finnish Arbitration Academy (2015)
University of Lapland, LL.M. (2008)
English, Finnish, French, Swedish