Jon Unnérus is a Helsinki-based Partner and Head of Roschier’s Private Equity practice in Finland. He is one of the leading profiles in the private equity and Corporate/M&A market in the country. Jon has been a partner since 2006 and has extensive experience in advising in complex cross-border transactions and divestments, within both the private equity and the industrial sphere. He has a deep understanding of the private equity industry and the Corporate/M&A market, and his clientele comprises a wide array of major private equity sponsors active within the Nordic region alongside a number of large Finnish and international corporations. Jon has in-depth knowledge in a wide variety of industry sectors such as healthcare, retail and ICT.
Jon has previous working experience from another major law firm, Nokia Corporation, Allen & Overy and other law firms in the City of London. He holds LL.M. degrees from the University of Helsinki and King´s College, London. Jon has conducted legal studies in Sweden and has extensive experience of the Swedish M&A markets.
Jon also regularly writes articles and gives lectures for the legal and business community on topics related to corporate law, M&A and private equity.
Jon is ranked in Band 1 by e.g. Chambers Europe and Chambers Global within corporate/M&A. He is also recognized as one of the leading experts in Corporate/M&A and Private Equity in Finland and the Nordics by other international legal directories such as The Legal 500, IFLR1000 and Who’s Who Legal.
According to clients, Jon has “the unique mix of providing excellent legal advice with a strong commercial understanding” (Chambers Global, 2022). Further, clients value him as an “extremely solution-oriented and practical, with a business-oriented mindset” (Chambers Europe, 2021). He is considered as “a standout name in the field of corporate and M&A” (Who’s Who Legal, 2018) and someone who “stands out for his legal skills in combination with a commercial mindset” (The Legal 500, 2022). Jon receives further praise for his “technical knowledge, commitment, hard work and ability to think commercially and strategically.” (Chambers Europe, 2020). Clients also highlight Jon’s professionalism: “Very good. Always available, very pro-active and competent. Excellent guy!” (IFLR1000, 2017).
Jon Unnérus’ experience includes advising:
- Funds managed by Axcel Management A/S in the sale of the Aidian group, a global provider of in vitro diagnostics instruments and tests, to Nordstjernan;
- IK Partners in the acquisition of Renta Group Oy from Intera Partners;
- Orkla ASA in the acquisition of NutraQ 2 AS, a leading supplier of health and beauty products within the two well-known health and beauty concepts VitaePro and Oslo Skin Lab;
- Otava Group in the sale of Nettix Oy to Alma Media;
- Tieto Corporation in its combination with EVRY ASA through a statutory cross border merger;
- Orkla ASA in their public tender offer for Kotipizza Group Oyj;
- Funds managed by KKR and Triton in the sale of Mehiläinen Group;
- CapMan Buyout in the sale of Walki Group to One Equity Partners;
- Funds managed by Axcel Management A/S in the EUR 163 million acquisition of Orion Diagnostica Oy;
- IK Investment Partners in the sale of Evac Group to private equity funds managed by Bridgepoint;
- Vaaka Partners in the acquisition of waste management company Molok Oy;
- KONGSBERG, a Norwegian listed technology corporation, in its EUR 272 million acquisition of 49.9% of the shares in Patria Oyj from the State of Finland.
Roschier (1999-), Partner since 2006
Nokia Networks /Espoo, Secondment (2001)
Castrén & Snellman, Associate Lawyer (1995-1999)
Allen & Overy /London, Secondment (1997)
Clyde & Co. /London, Secondment (1996)
Member of the Finnish Bar Association
Member of the International Bar Association
University of London, King’s College, LL.M. (1997)
University of Helsinki, LL.M. (1995)
English, Finnish, Swedish
Unique mix of providing excellent legal advice with a strong commercial understanding.Chambers Global